American Specialist Hospital was formed by the alignment of Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI) and Dignity Health. With more than 700 care sites across the U. S. , from clinics and hospitals to home-based care and virtual care services, American Specialist Hospital is accessible to nearly one out of every four U.S. residents. Our world needs compassion like never before. Our communities need caring and our families need protection. With our combined resources, American Specialist Hospital is committed to building healthy communities, advocating for those who are poor and vulnerable, and innovating how and where healing can happen, both inside our hospitals and out in the community.
Provides inpatient lactation education services to promote breastfeeding as the optimal form of infant nutrition to parents, children, and families for Franciscan Health System’s Lactation Services program. An incumbent provides training and support to mother/infant pairs to ensure that breastfeeding is a positive experience, thus increasing the duration of this health-enhancing and cost-saving practice.
Work requires knowledge of accepted standards/practices relating to lactation and breastfeeding, and of related supplies and equipment. May involve evening and/or weekend/holiday hours.
- Provides accurate, current and consistent information on breastfeeding and instruction on proper breastfeeding techniques to mothers/babies in an inpatient setting.
- Identifies breastfeeding experiences that are not the norm (e.g., improper latch-on, inadequate intake, etc.) and makes an immediate and appropriate referral (e.g., Lactation Consultant, other healthcare provider, or outpatient follow-up).
- Completes all required documentation in a timely, accurate, and thorough manner in accordance with FHS standards and procedures.
- Provides education and community outreach on breastfeeding, including conducting or assisting with group classes, in-services and presentations to patients, healthcare providers and interested community organizations.
Qualifications, Job Requirements:
- Completion of an accredited Lactation/Breastfeeding Educators course (or equivalent*) and one year of recent related work experience in areas relevant to course topics that demonstrates attainment of the requisite job knowledge skills/abilities. Adult teaching experience is preferred.
- Equivalency: Minimum of 50 Lactation-Cerps within last ten years and 500 hours of experience working with breastfeeding mother/infant pairs.
- Current Certification as an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) OR completion of a lactation educator program as reflected by certificate of completion
How To Apply
Send your resume to: [email protected]